Play a leadership role within the Accounting Team for Plant Accounting! This position will require technical and leadership skills in a fast-paced, collaborative environment by reporting on, analyzing, and influencing the accounting processes and internal controls performed at James Hardie’s manufacturing plants. The Accounting Manager – Plant Accounting acts as a thought leader on a range of technical accounting, internal control, and finance related issues. In addition to core accounting roles and responsibilities, this position will be a leader in driving projects, as well as identifying new performance improvement opportunities.
Reviews monthly general journal entries, income and balance sheet statements, account reconciliations, and various other accounting statements and reports as appropriate to support and timely monthly financial close for the Company’s North American divisions by: (40%)
- Supervising tasks associated with the general ledger, including reviewing monthly journal entries and monthly closing entries;
- Maintain integrity of general ledger transactions;
- Ensuring that the general ledger is closed within the timelines of the Company’s closing schedule;
- Reviewing and performing account analysis and reconciliations;
- Ensuring that all financial statements are presented in accordance with United States Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (US GAAP) and appropriate financial variance analysis are provided timely to management; and
- Developing strong, working relationships with coworkers and other departments
Analyzes financial data and account reconciliations y; (15%)
- Navigating and extracting data from financial systems to investigate and resolve outstanding items as appropriate;
- Reviewing and validating transactions
- Providing useful, timely, and accurate analysis of financial results and information to the NA Assistant Controller; and
- Writing quarterly balance sheet fluctuation narratives to support the external financial reporting process and external audit.
- Provides, suggests, supports and implements alternatives to work processes that will increase efficiencies and quality of financial results by; (15%)
- Developing strong, understanding of accounting and business processes that the team has oversight responsibilities for;
- Identifying process inefficiencies and helping to support the identification of the underlying root causes;
- Partnering with other finance and non-finance groups to support design and implement process improvements; and
- Supporting the control and monitoring of the implementation to ensure change is being followed and is operating effectively
Supports the ongoing preparations for Sarabanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance, including developing process narratives and desk procedures with limited guidance by: (10%)
- Performing periodic testing for compliance with written policies and procedures as part of the overall SOX program;
- Assisting in the continued development and documentation of SOX-related policies, procedures, and internal controls;
- Assisting in administration and enforcing accounting policies and procedures; and
- Supporting the creation, development, and maintenance of the department’s process documentation and flowcharts.
Effectively communicates and escalates issues and information to the NA Assistant Controller or other appropriate levels of management on a timely basis by (10%)
- Understanding general department processes to be able to identify unusual transactions or issues; and
- Providing timely communication to the NA Assistant Controller or other management to support an effective solution
Provides general assistance and support to the NA Assistant Controller and NA Controller by preparing ad hoc reports and financial analysis by (10%)
- Developing an understanding of UD GAAP and related processes for which the staff is responsible to provide general support to the NA Assistant Controller and management; and
- Effectively communicate results of the analysis to the Accounting Manager,
The position responsibilities outlined above are in no way to be constructed as all encompassing. Other duties, responsibilities, and qualifications may be required and/or assigned as necessary.
Position Requirements (continued)
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Demonstrated knowledge of full-cycle accounting process, including account reconciliations.
- Demonstrated knowledge of accounting for and maintain Fixed Assets in manufacturing environments.
- Demonstrated knowledge of SOX compliance processes and procedures
- Demonstrated skill in maintain accurate financial records and preparing clear and accurate reports for informational, auditing and operational use.
- Ability to interpret, apply and explain complex laws, codes, regulations and ordinances.
- Skill in maintaining accounting records for special accounts and projects.
- Demonstrated ability to make sound, independent judgement within established policies and procedures.
- Strong interpersonal and oral/written communication skills with the ability to relate well and cooperate with other members of management and other departments.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent assignments while meeting deadlines and demanding quality execution.
- Ability to develop understanding of financial reporting to support process and transition to the GL team.
- Ability and desire to grow in the position and accept more responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative in providing new ideas to improve process efficiencies.
- Demonstrated advanced skills with the standard features of various personal computer word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, and other financially-related and proprietary software).
- Ability to travel (15-20%).
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting of Finance.
- 2+ years of accounting experience in a manufacturing environment.
- 2+ years of public accounting experience. (Big 4 preferred)
- 5+ years in total of accounting experience.
- Experience accounting for inventory, fixed assets, and other manufacturing related matter.
- Experience with an ERP system. (SAP preferred)
Skills and Certifications
- BS/BA in Accounting, CPA preferred
- Eight or more years of relevant accounting experience, manufacturing preferred
- Track record of working in cross functional organizations and leading a team
- Excellent business partnering, influencing and presentation skills
- Strong organizational and communications skills with demonstrated ability to convey ideas to a diverse audience (Finance and Operational Partners)
- Plant controller
- Business partnering
Security Clearance Required: No
Visa Candidate Considered: No
Base Salary: DOE
Full-time Benefits – full
Relocation Assistance Available – No
Bonus Eligible – Yes
Overtime Eligible – No
Interview Travel Reimbursed – Yes