*THIS IS NOT A REMOTE POSITION. THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN CALIFORNIA*
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS
- Knowledge and utilization of medical terminology
- Knowledge of anatomy and physiology
- Working knowledge of current ICD-10-CM/PCS, CPT, and HCPCS coding guidelines, with working knowledge of DRG, APC, and diagnosis sequencing concepts
- Proficiency in the use of all applicable software, which includes the abstracting system 3-M HDM products(s) Familiarity with patient medical records
- Good command of the English language with effective communication skills (both verbal and written) at all levels
- Strong working knowledge and utilization of computers
- Ability to collect and trend data
- Ability to perform under pressure, meet frequent deadlines, and tight schedules.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
MINIMUM ESSENTIAL EXPERIENCE
Minimum of four years’ experience in an acute care facility with proficiency in all the areas of charging/coding (Medicare inpatient, Medicare outpatient, Emergency Department, Observation, Ambulatory surgery, outpatient ancillary records, APC edits, DRGs) preferred.
MINIMUM ESSENTIAL EDUCATION
- Holds a current Registered Health Information Administrator certification (RHIA) or eligible within first year of employment; or a current Registered Health Information Technician certificate (RHIT) or eligible within first year of employment. At a minimum upon hire, holds a current Certified Coding Specialist (CCS) certificate. All are accredited by the American Health Information Management Association.
REQUIRED LICENSURE / CERTIFICATIONS
- Holds a current Registered Health Information Administrator certificate (RHIA) or eligible; or a current Registered Health Information Technician certificate (RHIT) or eligible. Both are accredited by the American Health Information Management Association
- Must also have CCS
- Must work in a clean, well-lighted, well-ventilated work environment
- Subject to irregular hours, including evenings and weekends
- Ability to function in a busy environment with shifting and evolving priorities
- Ability to communicate written, verbally, and mentally continuously, set priorities that may change, and accomplish multiple tasks daily.
- Stable emotional makeup required to perform in a fast-pace environment with interruptions.
- Demonstrates ability to maintain positive relationships and courteous interactions with hospital staff, medical staff, and the public
- Requires effective communication with the medical staff, hospital staff, and the public through the telephone, fax, written and verbal skills, dictating and transcription equipment, meetings, seminars, computer, and email
- Ability to fill in for the Director of HIM at any time
SKILLS AND CERTIFICATIONS
- Must have CCS
- Full-time Benefits - Full
- Relocation Assistance Available - Possible for ideal candidate
- Commission Compensation - No
- Bonus Eligible - Yes
- Overtime Eligible - No
- Interview Travel Reimbursed - No
- 5+ to 7 years’ experience
- Management Experience Required - No
- Minimum Education - Bachelor's Degree
- Willingness to Travel – Occasionally
- Security Clearance Required: No
- Visa Candidate Considered: No